Whatever the reading mindset you have when it comes to reading, reading as an activity brings value to the school, personal, and work life.
Many people have different memories when it comes to reading, such as curling up on a rainy day with a blanket and a cup of tea. Some are frequent visitors to a bookstore or library, where we know them by their names and their walking styles.
Reading is a common event for adults. According to Statista, 74% of adults report having read at least a single book within one year. However, the average time that people spend reading is extremely low. According to the Bureau of Labour Statistics, the mean day-per-day reading time for adults is between 7 to 18 minutes, while those aged 65 years and above with an average of about 35 to 51 minutes. Many people read for several reasons, some to learn new skills or to remain up-to-date on trends, news, and others for pleasure. Whichever the reason, reading comes with great benefits at every stage.
As noted by https://mypaperwriter.com/, reading for fun means that the materials you read are not linked to either homework from school or work. It means the person chooses what he or she wants to in himself or herself.
Reason for fun reading
The following are the reasons we should be reading for fun.
- To grow the vocabulary set: If you wish to impress friends with a new set of vocabulary, you should read widely. By reading during your free time, you get to learn the meaning and context of new vocabulary. By enlarging your vocabulary set, you will expand your word choice for your writing and even help you learn the language.
- Learn something: While reading for fun, you will have an opportunity to learn something new. Based on what you are reading, like non-fiction or fiction books, articles, or a story, you will learn how to improve your mental health, leadership principle, a time in history, and a particular setting.
- Reduce stress: This benefit does not include reading to complete a class assignment or reviewing the proposal. To reduce stress while reading for fun, you need to select a genre that you enjoy and take a break from your busy schedule.
- Develop your imagination: To have strong and solid imagination is not a preserve for children. We can grow our creative and imaginative selves as we age. Creativity and imagination are critical skills that we can apply in any environment. We can expand our imagination by experiencing stories and learning.
- Be a better writer: We need to choose wisely what we read since it affects what we write. Besides, we need to be careful about what we learn since it affects what we get to know. It is particularly critical and essential for writers to be wary of what they read since it will eventually determine what they write.
- Boost brain function: Reading is a critical mental exercise that provides useful benefits to our brains. Reading fiction tends to boost our brain connectivity and assist our brains to function.
- A convenient pastime: If you have portable electronic devices such as laptops, tablets, or phones, then you have plenty of reading materials at your disposal. When you are in the middle of other activities like a queue at a grocery store, halftime of an exciting game, or need a break when doing a difficult assignment, you can pull your gadget and access an article, eBook, or check the latest news.